[Fedora-directory-users] Trying to run FDS on Core 5

Nathan Kinder nkinder at redhat.com
Thu Oct 5 18:05:44 UTC 2006

Dick Steflik wrote:
> All,
> I'm trying to run FDS for a class I teach, I have previously used the
> Netscape Directory Server on NT but the hard drive on that machine
> went belly up this last summer. I decided that Linux would be the way
> to go for a replacement machine. Anyway, I downloaded the
> fedora-ds-1.0.2-1FC5.i386.opt.rpm and proceded with the install.
> Install seemed to go OK; I started slapd and tried a test query and it
> worked. I want to load a doctored up version of the old Airius.ldif
> file so I started looking for the admin-server. Anyway it seems like
> there are supposed to be start/stop scripts on /opt/fedora-ds but
> there aren't....any ideas what might have happened to them? or where I
> get them from.
As Rich said, it sounds like the install did not complete successfully.
Most times this is due to incorrect DNS / hostname resolution configuration.
> Also, I'm running a 512Mb machine which should be OK; but when I try
> to start up the Java based console I get an "out of memory" message. I
> would like  to think that since only about 30 people are ever going to
> be doing  ldap queries against it that 512Mb of RAM should be OK (it
> was for the old Netscape Directory Server). I could live without the
> Java based console if I could get the admin server running as that is
> the way I always administerd the old machine.
The memory errors you are seeing are likely caused by the JVM you are
using.  It sounds like you are using gcj, which is not supported.  You
need to download either the IBM or the Sun JRE.

-NGK