[Fedora-directory-users] modify userPassword via perl-ldap?

Elías Halldór Ágústsson elias at hi.is
Wed Oct 25 20:57:19 UTC 2006

Jo De Troy wrote:
> What's the best way to update the userPassword from within perl?

Either you write it directly in the form of
{ENCRYPTION_METHOD}CRYPT_TEXT where ENCRYPTION_METHOD is e.g. SSHA or
MD5 or CRYPT and CRYPT_TEXT is the password, crypted with said method,
or you use the "Modify Password" extended LDAPv3 operation as described
in RFC 3062 which is implemented in Net::LDAP::Extension::SetPassword.

The example cited in the Net::LDAP::Extension::SetPassword manpage makes
the server autogenerate the password, which I'm not sure if FDS can do,
but it can be changed, either by binding as the user himself or as the
directory administrator (or whatever your ACLs allow).

Net::LDAP::Extension::SetPassword has the added benefit of that password
chances replicate to Active Directory replication agreements, if there
be any.

--
  ___    Elías Halldór Ágústsson    ___    Elias Halldor Agustsson   ___
{o,o}   Yfirkerfisfræðingur       {o.o}   Senior Systems Analyst   {o,o}