[Fedora-directory-users] RPM/SRPM issues and old RHEL

Oliver Hookins oliver.hookins at anchor.com.au
Tue Oct 31 00:40:19 UTC 2006

On Mon Oct 30, 2006 at 08:27:54 -0700, Richard Megginson wrote:
>Oliver Hookins wrote:
>>On Sun Oct 15, 2006 at 20:44:44 +1000, Oliver Hookins wrote:
>>
>>>OK well aside from this issue, has anyone got FDS running on RHEL 2.1?
>>>

>>I guess nobody has... well in any case I've downloaded the dsbuild 1.0.3
>>tarball and attempted to do a build on RHEL ES 2.1. Not surprisingly, it
>>fails. Can anyone shed some light on these error messages? I started the
>>build with make BUILD_RPM=1 NOJAVA=1 SNMP_SOURCE=1
>>
>I'm not sure, but it looks like a glibc compatability issue.  You might
>have to install some sort of gcc or glibc compat package.  On the other
>hand, it may require a newer version of gcc/glibc than AS 2.1 has.

Most of the errors suggest it is looking for GLIBC 2.0 and 2.1 procedures,
while the system has GLIBC 2.2.4 installed. I installed the compat-glibc
package which has 2.1 but including this in the LD_LIBRARY_PATH first causes
make to bail out because it requires 2.2 and apparently it gives up at the
first libc file it examines.

If there is no way around this particular thing, perhaps your suggestion of
using a later version of GLIBC will be the answer. Is there an easy way to
signal dsbuild to statically link GLIBC or will it require editing a lot of
files?

--
Regards,
Oliver Hookins