[Fedora-directory-users] Non-indexed searches on objectclass?

Pete Rowley prowley at redhat.com
Tue Apr 10 20:05:45 UTC 2007

Philip Kime wrote:
> When I look at the logconv output for some of my FDS servers, I see
> that the common factor on all listed unindexed searches is using the
> "objectclass" attribute. Is it worth indexing this?

It is already indexed for equality. The fact that an attribute is
indexed does not mean all searches using it will be indexed searches. In
an attempt to perform _less_ work, when the number of candidate entries
returned by an index exceeds administrative limits it triggers an
unindexed search. Also the type of index must match the search filter
type. As db of size increases, objectclass becomes less and less likely
to actually distinguish entries sufficiently to be useful, and certainly
not with any index type other than equality.

--
Pete