[Fedora-directory-users] moving fds data from one server to its replacement

Tony pthagonal at gmail.com
Fri Aug 3 15:25:01 UTC 2007

Hi,

I have a fds server that I'd like to move to a different machine. It's
currently running on a CentOS 4.5 system in a vmware virtual machine
using the fedora-ds-1.0.4-1.RHEL4.i386.opt.rpm package. Now that I've
discovered I can install the FC6 rpm version onto CentOS 5 I would
like to move my fds to the main machine and get rid of the virtual
machine.

Is there any recommended way for the easiest way to migrate data from
one fds to its replacement?

Various possibilities jump to mind, and I'll end up working my way
through some tests of these if the list doesn't voice a strong opinion
on this.

I could try to figure out which files fds stores all its data in and
copy them across manually while the servers are stopped.

I could experiment with a backup/restore within the fds admin console
and see if that takes all the config settings as well as my user data.
I'll have to get the new server running with something in order to get
as far as being able to restore the backup, but maybe it will cope
with that.

I could set the old and new servers up to replicate the data between
themselves and then  remove the older server.

Anyone care to comment on my guesswork? I didn't find anything in the
docs/faq about this.

--
Cheers,

Tony