[Fedora-directory-users] Removing SSL, broke access

Richard Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Thu Aug 30 00:05:25 UTC 2007

Jeff wrote:
> Hello:
>
> I broke access completely to my LDAP after following
> the SSL HOWTO (in part because there are 2 sets of
> instructions -- one is a Redhat link appearing at the
> top of that howto page, which is what I followed and
> coincidently broke access with, the other set of
> instructions appear on the same page shortly after
> that Redhat link and was the correct way I should have
> implemented my self-signed certs). I am pretty sure
> this has to do with ports since there is some mention
> of needing to be at a port above 1024 if installed
> root, however I installed and run it as nobody.

Why do you think it has to do with ports?  Note that the server can run
as "nobody" and listen to 389 and/or 636, as long as the servers are
_started_ by root (or from init).  The server drops privileges after
binding to the ports.
> How do I go back in and disable SSL now that I can't
> access anything? I can't seem to log in anywhere now
> with my directory manager password.

It depends.   But you can usually stop the server, edit dse.ldif, set
nsslapd-security: off, save, and start.