[Fedora-directory-users] problem with cert for ssl on RHAS5

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Wed Dec 5 03:42:25 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-12-05 at 16:12 +1300, Steven Jones wrote:
> 8><--------
> >
> > So what did I do wrong?
> ----
> probably should only use uri and not host in /etc/openldap/ldap.conf
>
> yep, I can take that out....
>
> And it's clear that
>
> ldap.vuw.ac.nz != cn=vuwunicvfdsm001.vuw.ac.nz (certificate)
>
> Sorry I fail to see it as that clear (until now you explain it anyway!)
>
> ....Working through the FDS/RDS documentation I seem to have failed to
> notice that it clearly (if at all???) explains what cn= should equal or
> indeed the setting in the ldap.conf needs to be the same....in terms of
> DNS they do equal as ldap is a CNAME of vuwunicvfdsm001....
>
> The advantage of using a CNAME is I can upgrade the system and to a
> simple CNAME change to replace the servers....
>
> Thanks, I have changed,
>
> #uri ldap://ldap.vuw.ac.nz/
>
> To,
>
> uri ldap://vuwunicvfdsm001.vuw.ac.nz/
>
> So I now have for /etc/openldap/ldap.conf,
>
> ==========
> # http://www.padl.com
> #URI     ldap://ldap.vuw.ac.nz
> base dc=vuw,dc=ac,dc=nz
> pam_password md5
> BASE dc=vuw,dc=ac,dc=nz
> #tls_cacertfile /etc/openldap/cacerts/ca.crt
> #TLS_REQCERT allow
> TLS_REQCERT never
> #host ldap.vuw.ac.nz
> #host vuwunicvfdsm001.vuw.ac.nz
> #ssl start_tls
> #nss_base_passwd        ou=People,dc=vuw,dc=ac,dc=nz
> #nss_base_shadow        ou=People,dc=vuw,dc=ac,dc=nz
>

> uri ldap://vuwunicvfdsm001.vuw.ac.nz/
> #uri ldap://ldap.vuw.ac.nz/
> ssl no
> tls_cacertdir /etc/openldap/cacerts
> =========
>
> and a working ldapsearch,
>
> ldapsearch -x -ZZ '(uid=jonesst1)'
>
> Gives me the correct answer....
----
just a thought (and it may be in the cert documentation for fds)

sometimes you can use subjectAltName to add more names/aliases for the
same system and then there isn't the collision when using the
certificate. I know that the openldap client software is fine with
subjectAltName entries

Lastly, you probably can add to both /etc/ldap.conf
and /etc/openldap/ldap.conf

ssl start_tls

and it should automatically use tls...

ldapsearch -x '(uid=jonesst1)' would be the same as if you added -ZZ

Craig