[Fedora-directory-users] Announcing Fedora DirectoryServer 1.1Beta

Rich Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Wed Dec 5 15:10:15 UTC 2007

Jared B. Griffith wrote:
> I resorted to installing it on FreeBSD 6.2 and concentrating on that
> rather than working on the test server that I was installing on.
> I ended up using the ports versions of nss and nspr since the source
> installs of those packages from the Mozilla sites were, well,
> difficult at best to install.
> I did end up getting svrcore source installed by using the source from
> Mozilla.  This was easy and went flawlessly as long as you provide all
> the configure options as to where nss and nspr (include and lib)
> directories are located.
> Now I am at the c-sdk package (I am using the one I got out of the
> source ldapsdk rpm).  I am using that one since the sdk from Mozilla
> seemed a bit beyond my source compilation experience (which I am a bit
> out of practice since we mainly concentrate on what is available from
> the upstream providers - either from Gentoo or FreeBSD, a bit of
> company policy).  I am using the configure script, and throwing as
> many configure options as humanly possible (since I want to make sure
> it doesn't overwrite the current ldap header files and libraries).
> Configure finishes fine.  I then use gmake rather than the normal make
> to build the source (since I am sure that it would be looking for gnu
> make, and running make just gives me a bunch of errors), it appears to
> build, which I am really just guessing on since there are no messages
> about either build errors or completion errors.   There are some
> errors  while it is building, but nothing fatal (some normal thread
> errors and what not).  Since it appears that the gmake finishes
> completely, I then run gmake install (again, this finishes as the
> gmake does, with no error or completion messages).  The problem I am
> seeing is that even though it seems like the configure, build, and
> install completed, it did not install any of the files into the
> directories I specified or anywhere else on the machine. Could I be
> missing something?  Is it erroring out possibly?  Do I need to copy
> the built files over to the directories that I want them in?
> Of course, not having the ldapsdk package installed means that I
> cannot install the fedora-ds.
> I am keeping track of what I am doing and would be happy to either
> give you a step by step of this or put it on the fedora-ds wiki if I
> am able to get this built correctly and running as it does on Gentoo
> and Centos.
> I would also like to update the Gentoo one, since that one is missing
> some important information that needs to be on there to get it running
> properly (though the web part of it doesn't run as it does when using
> the rpm build, not sure what is missing, but the Management console
> and the LDAP parts all work fine without error).
>
> Thanks for all your help and pointers up until this point Rich.  It's
> greatly appreciated.
Unfortunately, the mozldap package configure doesn't work like regular
autotool configure does - it doesn't honor --prefix, and make install
doesn't work, neither does make DESTDIR=/path install.  You have to
install all of the files manually.  If you have the srpm, take a look a
the spec file, in the %install section.  You'll see just what it does.

We might want to take this discussion off of the fedora-ds list and on
to the dev-tech-ldap at lists.mozilla.org list.  We also might want to
update wiki.mozilla.org with this information about building on BSD.