[Fedora-directory-users] multi-master limit

Enrico M. V. Fasanelli Enrico.M.V.Fasanelli at le.infn.it
Wed Dec 5 22:14:04 UTC 2007

Dear Rich,

can you explain with some numbers on that?

How much RAM I need per each separate thread? How many replication
agreement in a server equipped with 2, 4, 8, 16 GB RAM?

How the avg. update rate influence these numbers? And the max update rate?

30 replication agreement per server is a medium value? large? huge? Too
much? Out of any hardware configuration?

Thank in advance.

Ciao,
	Enrico

Rich Megginson wrote:

> Also important to keep in mind is your update rate - avg. updates per
> minute, max. updates per minute.

[...snips...]

> In Fedora DS, replication is supplier initiated, and will update as soon
> as possible by default.  That is, as soon as the supplier receives the
> change, it will send it to the consumer.  There are also programmatic
> ways to do it, but you usually don't need to.

[...snips...]

>> That means 4 is the highest number of masters we've tested
>> exhaustively.  The protocol supports up to 2^32-2 masters, but you will
>> usually hit a practical limit in the number of replication
>> agreements.  Each repl. agreement runs a separate thread, so you will
>> usually be
>> constrained by resources - available RAM, processors, etc.

[...snips...]