[Fedora-directory-users] multi-master limit

Rich Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Wed Dec 5 22:31:32 UTC 2007

Enrico M. V. Fasanelli wrote:

> Dear Rich,
>
> can you explain with some numbers on that?
Not really.  I don't have any exact numbers or formulae that you can
plug in various parameters such as OS, RAM, CPUs, etc.

> How much RAM I need per each separate thread? How many replication
> agreement in a server equipped with 2, 4, 8, 16 GB RAM?
>
> How the avg. update rate influence these numbers? And the max update
> rate?
In general, the higher the average update rate, the harder the server is
going to have to work to send out updates to all replicas.  And a very
high update rate for a short period of time may spike the RAM and/or CPU
usage.

> 30 replication agreement per server is a medium value? large? huge?
> Too much? Out of any hardware configuration?
I don't really have a good answer for any of these questions.  I do know
that at some point you are going to see a drop off in performance due to
thread contention.  Adding more RAM and CPUs will mitigate this drop.