[Fedora-directory-users] admin command lines for Fedora DS

Rich Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Tue Dec 18 20:19:35 UTC 2007

dandantheitman wrote:
> Hey Guys,
>
> I Sys. Admin a small office of about 50 users and we have 6 linux
> boxes and 2 openBSD boxes.  I am currently using NIS for management.
> Am in the process of looking at moving from NIS to LDAP and after some
> 'googling' it seems that Fedora DS would cover all of my requirements.
>
> I have installed the fedora DS and have manually (via the ds gui)
> added a few users.  I would prefer however to get away from the GUI
> and perform everything from the command line.  Thus far I have not
> found any command line admin stuff.
>
> Can you guys give me a hand with this stuff - or give me a pointer or
> 2.  I am looking how  to do the following:
> * create groups
> * add users
> * add users with posix attributes,

In general, for tasks like these, any LDAP client will work.  There is
nothing specific to Fedora DS.  Most every document that describes how
to add/modify users witih ldapmodify and how to search for them with
ldapsearch, and how to create custom LDIF files, will apply to Fedora DS.

I strongly encourage you to use scripts to do this - my preference is
python and python-ldap but it is fairly low level.  If you are a perl or
ruby or java hacker, there are Java APIs for those languages.

If you prefer just plain old shell commands, then you can do just about
everything using good ol' grep/sed/awk with LDIF files and
ldapmodify/ldapsearch.
> * disable accounts.

Use the ns-inactivate.pl/ns-activate.pl scripts provided with Fedora
DS.  NOTE: This is specific to Fedora DS.
> * change passwords

ldappasswd
> you know the basic sort of stuff.  I have taken a look on amazon and
> oreilly but cannot see any Fedora DS specific books.

Except where noted above, just about any book on LDAP that covers
ldapmodify and LDIF will be useful.