[Fedora-directory-users] How to make application connect to multi-master set-up?

Eddie C edlinuxguru at gmail.com
Mon Feb 19 14:52:40 UTC 2007

Interesting question. Yes a hardware load balancers works perfectly. In the
configuration of a load balancer you create a virtual IP address and it will
split off the requests between two servers.

I accomplished rougly the same thing with linux-ha. I created two Virtual IP
addresses. Pointed half the apps at one and half the apps at the other. Both
of them will fail over to the other side.

What I want to do but did not have the time is use the Linux Virtual Server
Project. Ontop of linux-HA. In this way the VIRTUAL IP can float between the
two productions systems. That is really the best way to go. (and you save on
the cost of load balancing hardware)

There might be some ldap proxy software (sun makes something I think) that
can prooxy ldap and redirect it in a HA type way. I have not looked into
that. If you go with the linux virtual server project keep me in the loop.
Let me know how it turns out.

Edward