[Fedora-directory-users] FDS dies on SSL - How do I rescue installation?

Ulf Weltman ulf.weltman at hp.com
Tue Jan 2 19:08:54 UTC 2007

Ian Holroyd wrote:
> I have been setting up Fedora Directory Server for use with Samba PDC
> etc. I had most aspects of this working, with SSL transport operating
> correctly, having followed the HowTo.
>
> However, I have now restarted whole system and the start-slapd will not
> work, generating the following errors: (retyped as email sent from
> another system, excuse any typos)
> [timestamp] - SSL alert: Security Initialization: Can't find certificate
> (Server-Cert) for family cn=RSA,cn=encryption,cn=config (Netscape
> Portable Runtime error -8174 - security library: bad database.)
> [timestamp] - SSL alert: Security Initialization: Unable to retrieve
> private key for ert Server-Cert of family cn=RSA,cn=encryption,cn=config
> (Netscape Portable Runtime error -8174 - security library: bad
> database.)
> [timestamp] - SSL failure: None of the cipher are valid
>
> Now, if (big if) I am reading this correctly, this means that it has
> failed to find the certificate named Server-Cert. I believe that this
> may be as a result of me having 'used my initiative' and changed all
> references to 'Server-Cert' in the HowTo to a personalised version of
> this (i.e. I created the certs with my own names).
>
> Start-admin fails without leaving any message (I assume because it can't
> read config information from the LDAP server).
>
> The problem, however, is that ALL documentation I have found on how to
> solve problems like this (or indeed delete and start over) refers to
> either using the console (which I cannot start without my slapd-instance
> running) or utilities like certutil which appear to fail for the same
> reason.
>
> If I understand this correctly, I am in a catch22 - I cannot start the
> LDAP server until I change the config, but I cannot change the config
> without the LDAP directory being available. So, is there ANY way to
> start FDS without SSL support (which I don't need right now anyway!) so
> that I can put-right the damage I have done by following the HowTo
> properly this time??? If not, is there any way to reinstall /
> reconfigure without scrapping my data (which took some time to build).

The slapd configuration DSE is backed by a flat file which you can edit
if the server is not running.  Change nsslapd-security to off in the
cn=config entry in /opt/fedora-ds/slapd-instance/config/dse.ldif to get
it started, or set the nsSSLPersonalitySSL attribute to match your
certificate nickname in the cn=RSA,cn=encryption,cn=config entry (should
match the one displayed with certutil -L).