[Fedora-directory-users] replica multi-master, clock skew and /etc/ntp.conf

Eddie C edlinuxguru at gmail.com
Mon Jul 2 13:52:23 UTC 2007

VM-ware somtimes has annoying clock issues.

If you are using a VMware supported Kernel on a VMware supported OS
you should be able to 'install vmware tools' - run the RPM be ok.

I am on Fedora Core 5. This is what I have to do.

My VMWare machines have I have found that using VMWare server with the
stock FC5 kernel works and vmware 1.0.1 works 'OK' as long as:

-You install VMware tools on the guest os
-You turn on the real time clock in the configuration of vmware tools
-You change clock=PIT in the kernel boot
-You only use one processor for the system.

Your milage on this may vary depending on what kernel / vmware
combination you are using.

With two processor emulation I found the clock totally irradic, and
the host system was telling me about soft lockups. I found that for
most things one processor emulation works well enough.

Here is what I do:
install kernel-source/kernel-devel
In vmware click 'install vmware tools'
This creats a pseudo CD device that you have to mount ( I do not remember how)
In the psuedo cd-rom device there are two files
VMware-Tools-1.0.1-(version).rpm and the tar
I RPM install the tar
download vmware-any-any-update105.tar.gz
vmware-tools-any-update1.tar.gz
tar -xf vmware-tools-any-update1.tar.gz
tar -xf vmware-any-any-update105.tar.gz
cp vmware-tools-any-update/runme.pl
vmware-any-any-update/runme.pl
cd vmware-any-any-update
perl runme.pl
Set clock=pit in kernel config
Reboot

Still, I find if the system is very busy I have found the clock
jumping a minute and then jumping back. I still run ntp sometimes
against suggestion of vmware. Then again I am not on a supported OS.