[Fedora-directory-users] Problem with users' passwords

Nalin Dahyabhai nalin at redhat.com
Thu Jul 5 17:31:30 UTC 2007

On Thu, Jul 05, 2007 at 11:20:52AM -0600, Richard Megginson wrote:
> Saied W. Andalib wrote:
>> Some look like this:
>>
>> userPassword: e1NTSEF9b0lZeWJsWDdPOTNkUVliY215UDZXaDFIdURIQ2tmQjA=
>
> I'm not sure what this is.  Fedora DS expects the userPassword to either be
> the clear text value
> userPassword: mypassword
> or a hash with the hash type in the front
> userPassword: {SSHA}POTNkUVliY215UDZXaDFIdURI==
>
> I'm not sure what e1NTSEF9b0lZeWJsWDdPOTNkUVliY215UDZXaDFIdURIQ2tmQjA= is.

The "=" on the end suggests that it's base64, and the example was
missing the extra ":" which would indicate that it is.  Decoding that
gives "{SSHA}oIYyblX7O93dQYbcmyP6Wh1HuDHCkfB0".

Perhaps the value was accidentally converted so that it's actually being
stored that way in the directory, when it shouldn't be.

HTH,

Nalin