[Fedora-directory-users] Migration from 1.0 and 7.1 to 1.1

Eddie C edlinuxguru at gmail.com
Mon Jul 9 15:33:19 UTC 2007

I will tell a little about how we handled are cutover from iplanet
5.2running on SPARC hardware to FC5 on x86-64.

I had some extra ports on our terminal server so I connected the old  SPARC
systems to the terminal server so I can manage them out-of-band (and later
after I took their IP addresses away)

Remember LDAP is a directory service. Directory services support frequent
read operations and infrequent write operations. Not every application fits
this profile but in our case we shut down/disabled our web application that
modifies our LDAP.

We have a multi-GB database approx 2 GB. We ran an LDAP search
command/db2ldif.  I do not remember this taking a long time probably < 8
minutes. Remember LDAPsearch is very fast.

We were moving from master/slave to multi-master. At that point I setup
multi-master on the new systems. We used SCP to copy over the ldif data,
then I added it to one side using Ldapmodify. Again this took less then 20
minutes.

I quickly re-added indexes and verified final settings. Then I disabled the
old systems using the Terminal Server and added a sub-ip-interface to the
new systems for an IP take-over.

When we had done testing and all was well and good again we re-enabled out
web application.

For us the migration was a Friday process and our window was based on how
long we could live without database changes. All our applications that have
read access suffered a small intermittent outage when we switched the IP.

The good part about this process is you can completely test the dump and
restore without doing the actual cut-over to see how long the entire process
will take. Dump from your old harware/restore to new.

Tools to move the database real time/cross platform would be nice, but in
our case they would be overkill if you have a small amount of data the
standard tools can probably do it in soft-real time.