[Fedora-directory-users] UNCLASSIFIED - Linux Client Configurations & LDAP Failover

HAWKER, Dan (external) Dan.HAWKER at uk4.astrium.eads.net
Wed Jul 11 12:42:18 UTC 2007

Hi All,

First off, apologies for the tagline. Work has gone mad ensuring we tag
all outgoing emails with appropriate classifications. Very irritating :(

Anyway...

Not sure if this is strictly OT, however I'm having some trouble
configuring my Linux clients to failover to secondary FDS boxes quickly
enough.

By that I mean, it all works (ppl can login, get home dirs, etc)
however, despite adding a second FDS server to the clients ldap.conf
file, and fiddling with the bind_timelimit and other settings (with no
real change), if the first FDS box in the list fails for whatever
reason, (panic, scheduled downtime, upgrades, etc) it takes the
client(s) some time to failover to using the second LDAP box. During
this time general access and logins slow to a crawl until the primary is
back up again.

My FDS boxes are FC5 with FDS 1.0.2 and my clients are all RHEL4/5 and
FC4-7 boxes. BIND is also running on these two FDS boxes, however that
fails over as expected.

Has anyone some *best practice* guidelines/docs they can point me
towards or some personal experiences/anecdotes so I can hopefully
configure my clients such that a failure in a FDS box is almost
un-noticeable by my clients boxes.

TIA

Dan

--

Dan Hawker
Linux System Administrator

--

This email (including any attachments) may contain confidential and/or privileged information or information otherwise protected from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately, do not copy this message or any attachments and do not use it for any purpose or disclose its content to any person, but delete this message and any attachments from your system. Astrium disclaims any and all liability if this email transmission was virus corrupted, altered or falsified.