[Fedora-directory-users] Performance

Chris St. Pierre stpierre at NebrWesleyan.edu
Fri Jul 13 15:50:43 UTC 2007

On Fri, 13 Jul 2007, Vampire D wrote:

> We will not be using LDAP in the traditional sense.
>
> Instead of authentication, we will be using it to perform lookups upon
> incoming mail.
> We plan on having tens of thousands of email addresses stored in LDAP, every
> message that comes in is verified via LDAP that it is allowed, and then it
> is processed by our system.  We plan on caching entries (positive and
> negative) for 24 hours, so as long as the look up has been done in the last
> 24 hours and the 1M record cache isn't exhausted it will not perform a look
> up.  This should cut down a lot of the demand.  Initially we are looking at
> about 100k lookups an hour, as we expand the service that can go up by
> 50-100k at a time.

Lots of people (myself included) use LDAP for this, among other
things.

Fedora DS will not blink at 100K searches per hour.  I have seen
50-80K ops/minute on our LDAP servers, which are HP DL145s with 2
cores and 4 Gb memory, without any performance degradation, and I've
spoken with people doing far more than that on comparable hardware.

At the rates you're talking about, performance will be a non-issue.

Chris St. Pierre
Unix Systems Administrator
Nebraska Wesleyan University