[Fedora-directory-users] Using certs from MS CA server

Richard Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Mon Jul 16 15:42:53 UTC 2007

J Davis wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have FDS 1.0.4 running using an SSL certificate generated by an
> Microsoft windows 2003 CA server.
> I choose this method as opposed to the setupssl.sh script from the
> wiki because I have read in the list archives that it is the best way
> to avoid trust issues when setting up PassSync over SSL between FDS
> and AD. I'm having a hard time finding references for configuring this
> properly and I know very little about SSL certificates so I'm making
> some guesses and likely missing a crucial step or two.
> The problem is that when trying to bind to the FDS using SSL I get
> certificate verification errors.
>
> > # ldapsearch -x -H ldaps://localhost/
> > ldap_bind: Can't contact LDAP server (-1)
> >         additional info: error:14090086:SSL
> routines:SSL3_GET_SERVER_CERTIFICATE:certificate verify failed
/usr/bin/ldapsearch is OpenLDAP ldapsearch.  Did you follow these steps
to tell it where to find the CA cert?
http://directory.fedoraproject.org/wiki/Howto:SSL#Configure_LDAP_clients

> Here's how I set up the certificates...
> 1. Generated a CSR using the FDS console wizard and submitted it to
> the MS CA.
> 2. Imported the CA certificate (called "it") and the signed
> "server-cert" resulting from step 1 from the MS CA using the FDS admin
> console.
> 3. Enabled SSL (port 636) in the directory server using server-cert
> from step 1.
Where you restarted the directory server, did it say it was listening
for LDAPS requests on port 636 in the error log?