[Fedora-directory-users] Performance

Norman Gaywood ngaywood at une.edu.au
Tue Jul 17 01:35:26 UTC 2007

On Mon, Jul 16, 2007 at 10:20:23AM -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
> Norman Gaywood wrote:
> >perform under load? I was always under the impression that OpenLDAP
> >was the fastest and most scalable LDAP server around. For example:
> >
> >http://www.symas.com/benchmark-auth.shtml
> >
> >I recall reading another benchmark somewhere comparing it with FDS but
> >can't find it at the moment.
>
> That looks to be a read-only test.  What happens when you throw some
> updates at it?  And are there any benchmarks for FDS running in
> multi-master mode with update activity?

Yes it was a read-only test. But then that's the main application of
LDAP servers. Are there applications that require high LDAP write
performance?

I found the other benchmark paper here:

http://highlandsun.com/hyc/SambaXP.pdf

It includes figures for FDS. A summary can be found here:

http://www.mail-archive.com/ldap@umich.edu/msg01151.html

According to that paper, OpenLDAP pretty much blows away everyone else
in performance and scalability. Nothing else is even close.

Of course it is a benchmark. I'm sure someone will find some flaws :-)

--
Norman Gaywood, Systems Administrator
School of Mathematics, Statistics and Computer Science

norm at turing.une.edu.au            Phone: +61 (0)2 6773 2412
http://turing.une.edu.au/~norm    Fax:   +61 (0)2 6773 3312