[Fedora-directory-users] Managing openLDAP et Active Directory users via Fedora DS

Julien Garet Julien.Garet at inria.fr
Mon Jul 23 09:59:37 UTC 2007

Hi,

    I am currently looking for a solution  which allows me to manage
both Windows Users in  Active Directory and unix users in openLDAP, and
users in the two worlds.  In fact, we have softs plugged to an openldap
server, and we need some functionalities offered by AD for Windows
extensive users. It seems Fedora Directory Server will match the
requirements. But I have a couple of questions on what can be done.
    - I have seen that AD users and groups synchro was possible, are
passwords also synchro ? (will a user changing its password in Windows
will be also changed in openldap ?)
    - does directory server fills the kerberos part of AD ? (we have
cifs mounts to be done by Windows Users)
    - is it possible to replicate FDS base with a simple openldap server
(with syncrepl) ?

    In fact, I realize I do not understand well yet what FDS is in deep,
and is able to perform, and I'd be very happy if someone explained me a
little further.

Julien GARET

INRIA Futurs,
Moyens Informatiques