[Fedora-directory-users] Performance

Gordon Messmer yinyang at eburg.com
Mon Jul 23 17:20:23 UTC 2007

Vampire D wrote:
> Another member on the list who does consulting with LDAP as well as
> someone who works for Cisco/IronPort.
> That's why we have been looking at FDS.

If you Howard Chu is to be believed, Cisco is a lousy reference for LDAP
(see message from 7/18).

http://highlandsun.com/hyc/SambaXP.pdf

Howard notes that Richard Megginson reviewed the configuration of the
FDS server used in the benchmark.

In my own experience, OpenLDAP leaked memory, was prone to db
corruption, and was a lousy development platform (attributes requested
by alias were returned by canonical name, which makes aliases useless in
application development).  Those were pretty serious problems, but I
haven't used OpenLDAP in several years.  Symas *looks* like it's pretty
serious about making OpenLDAP a better platform.  A lot can change in
several years' time.

I'm comfortable with FDS.  It's more than fast enough for what I need,
it's stable, and applications developed on FDS are easily portable to
Sun's directory server.  However, if OpenLDAP is developing into a
compelling platform, then I'm more inclined to test my applications
against it, and consider it for future deployments.