[Fedora-directory-users] Restricting Users Login Question

Timothy Hunt timothy.hunt at intraisp.com
Tue Nov 13 02:42:28 UTC 2007

On Redhat 4.1, using PAM, we use /etc/security/access.conf

the relevant line is
-:ALL EXCEPT wheel permitted-ldap-group-for-this-box  permitted-ldap-
group-for-this-box-root:ALL

so that's deny everyone from everywhere, except people in these three
groups.

So, any local accounts (if your connection to your LDAP box fails,
you need a backup account) that can log in are in the wheel group.

Then, normal users are in the "permitted-ldap-group-for-this-box"
group are also allowed on

Further, those in "permitted-ldap-group-for-this-box-root" are also
allowed on, and that group also appears in /etc/sudoers to control
which users can also use sudo.

you just define groups of boxes that should have similar access
authorization, make a group for that set of boxes, add that group to
the access.conf, and then add the users you want to allow to those
boxes to that group.

Rinse and repeat for the other classes of boxes.

Timothy