[Fedora-directory-users] Expanding directory schema using LDIF

Chun Tat David Chu beyonddc.storage at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 20:46:28 UTC 2007

Hi, I'm having a problem when attempting to expand my directory schema
using LDIF.

What I'm doing is to place my custom schema into the
INSTALLDIR/slapd-INSTANCE/config/schema directory.
I stopped the Fedora DS before doing so because base on what I read,
the schema should get automatically loaded during the start.

I received the following messages when I attempt to start Fedora DS.
Starting Fedora Directory Server: [20/Nov/2007:14:47:51 -0500] dse -
The entry cn=schema in file
/opt/fedora-ds/slapd-<hostname>/config/schema/98_test.ldif is invalid,
error code 21 (Invalid syntax) - attribute type testAttribute_1:
Missing attribute syntax OID
[20/Nov/2007:14:47:52 -0500] dse - Please edit the file to correct the
reported problems and then restart the server.
                                                           [FAILED]

Below is my schema
dn: cn=schema
objectClass: top
objectClass: ldapSubentry
objectClass: subschema
cn: schema
attributeTypes: ( testAttribute_1 NAME 'testAttribute_1'
 DESC 'This is testAttribute_1'
 EQUALITY caseIgnoreMatch
 SYNTAX 1.3.6.1.4.1.1466.115.121.1.40
 SINGLE-VALUE
 X-ORIGIN 'user defined'
 )
attributeTypes: ( testAttribute_1 NAME 'testAttribute_2'
 DESC 'This is testAttribute_2'
 EQUALITY caseIgnoreMatch
 SYNTAX 1.3.6.1.4.1.1466.115.121.1.40
 MULTI-VALUE
 X-ORIGIN 'user defined'
 )

Is the OID that I defined is invalid?  If so what's the best way to
generate a OID?  or that's something wrong in my LDIF?

Regards,

- David