[Fedora-directory-users] ldap_simple_bind: Can't connect to the LDAP server - Invalid argument

dane.shea at comcast.net dane.shea at comcast.net
Wed Nov 28 03:51:32 UTC 2007

Hello I am trying to use samba with Fedora Directory Server as it's backend, I
am currently trying to configure samba to work with Fedora Directory Server
using this guide:
http://directory.fedoraproject.org/wiki/Howto:Samba#Samba_.26_Fedora_Directory_S
erver_Integration.

My eventual goal is to have a Fedora Directory Server using Samba where XP
clients can log in with pGina(pgina.org), and a logon script from samba will
automatically mount their personal network drive, but first I am told that I
need to configure samba for Fedora Directory Server.

I don't know if I have everything up until this point configured correctly but I
assume it is because I have been following the guide and I haven't had any
errors.

This is where I hit a brick wall. At the section of Populating FDS with PDC
Entry, here is my console and the files I used:

[root at daneshea ~]# net getlocalsid
SID for domain SHEA is: S-1-5-21-578281780-2648695933-2708965967
[root at daneshea ~]# gedit /tmp/sambaDomainName.ldif

sambaDomainName.ldif:

dn: sambaDomainName=SHEA,dc=com
objectclass: sambaDomain
objectclass: sambaUnixIdPool
objectclass: top
sambaDomainName: SHEA
sambaSID: S-1-5-21-578281780-2648695933-2708965967
uidNumber: 550
gidNumber: 550

[root at daneshea ~]# /opt/fedora-ds/slapd-daneshea/ldif2ldap "cn=Directory
manager" password /tmp/sambaDomainName.ldif
ldap_simple_bind: Can't connect to the LDAP server - Invalid argument
[root at daneshea ~]#

I don't know if my smb.conf is affecting it but I think I have it configured
correctly, as you can see I have five users that need their network drives
mounted automatically

 Global parameters
[global]
       workgroup = WORKGROUP
       netbios name = SHEA
       server string = Shea Server
       map to guest = Bad User

	log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
       max log size = 50

	preferred master = yes
       local master = yes
	domain master = yes
       dns proxy = No
       security = user

	passdb backend = ldapsam:ldap://192.168.1.109
	ldap admin dn = cn=Directory Manager
	ldap suffix = dc=com
	ldap user suffix = ou=People
	ldap machine suffix = ou=Computers