[Fedora-directory-users] forcing reload?

solarflow99 solarflow99 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 4 10:43:02 UTC 2008

On 8/4/08, Graham Seaman <G.Seaman at lse.ac.uk> wrote:

> solarflow99 wrote:
>
>> what platform are you running on?  a service restart should have dirsrv
>> take the new schema, do the logs show anything wrong?
>>
> uname -a says:
>
> Linux enterprise1.lse.ac.uk 2.6.18-53.1.14.el5 #1 SMP Tue Feb 19 07:18:21
> EST 2008 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
>
> ns-slapd -version says:
>
> Fedora-Directory/1.1.0 B2007.354.1236
>
> There are no errors reported in access or errors when I restart; the only
> error I'm getting is when I try to create an entry using the new schema I'm
> trying to load, which gives me:
>
> [04/Aug/2008:10:12:25 +0100] conn=1 op=5 RESULT err=65 tag=105 nentries=0
> etime=0
> [04/Aug/2008:11:02:12 +0100] - Entry "cn=test,ou=flame
> users,dc=lse,dc=ac,dc=uk" has unknown object class "eduPerson"
>
> eduPerson is a standard schema which works fine. It is the schema I
> accidentally missed out when I started and am trying to add.
>
> I have the same problem with Fedora-ds on another system running CentOS: I
> can add a new schema only by deleting the directory and populating it from
> scratch.
>
> I am new to Ldap, so am not sure what is expected behaviour and what isn't.
>
> Graham

ok, it sounds like what I think it is.  When you created the existing users,
they were not added with the eduPerson objectclass since the schema didn't
exist in FDS, so now only new users will automatically get it assuming your
front end provides it, not sure what you are using since you said its not
dirsrv-admin, you must have a way of adding new users, etc.  Thats why its
best to add the schema to FDS first, then start creating new users.

The way I understand it, the schema only makes it possible for an ldap
server to allow the extra feature, but its the user (object) that has its
necessary objectclasses assigned to it, for each objectclass, you can assign
the values and attributes.  For example:  samba requires adding the samba
schema into FDS, then each user needs to have the "sambasamaccount"
objectclass which has numerous values that samba accounts use.

I was new with ldap not long ago too, hope this helps..

  On 8/4/08, *Graham Seaman* <G.Seaman at lse.ac.uk <mailto:G.Seaman at lse.ac.uk>>