[Fedora-directory-users] Create client SSL certificates for Solaris boxes.

George Holbert gholbert at broadcom.com
Fri Dec 5 07:03:24 UTC 2008

James Chavez wrote:
> George,
> Thank you much for the help with this. I read up on the links you sent
> and they seem to have helped. I have been struggling with a Solaris 8
> box for the past few hours. It would not work at first, I was getting an
> end of file error in the access log. Then it just started working after
> I restarted the client services a few times and readded the box using
> the same profile.
>
> I have another question in regards to SSL for replication.
> I had MMR going between two servers, this one and another prior to
> enabling SSL on this server. I removed all the replication agreements
> because as I understand it they need to be recreated with SSL. I would
> appreciate the lists opinions on the following. The Admin guide states
> that there are 2 ways of replicating over SSL, I pasted them below. I
> would like to know the pros and cons of each and if a DNS PTR record is
> an absolute necessity on each MMR member.

The end result with both SSL replication flavors is the same.
Both encrypt the replication traffic between your directory servers.
The client cert method, when properly implemented, will make life more
challenging for a prospective attacker who would like to impersonate
your replication manager identity.  In that sense, it is more secure
than simple auth with SSL.