[Fedora-directory-users] temporary resource unavailable problem with fedora directory server

Rich Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Tue Feb 26 17:31:26 UTC 2008

Low Kian Seong wrote:
> Wow ... a bit of ip information there could someone please take out
> the last email i sent ? How do i request an email be removed ?

And in your reply, you copied the entire previous message - I've
contacted Red Hat support to remove the messages from the archive.  But
there is no way to revoke the messages once they are sent.

This information is interesting:

----- Total Connection Codes -----

B1                    11480    Bad Ber Tag Encountered
U1                     5877    Cleanly Closed Connections
T1                     2187    Idle Timeout Exceeded

B1 usually means the client just exit()'ed without first calling close()
or shutdown() on the TCP/IP socket.  Which is fine.  It's the T1 which
are odd.  Of these 2187, 1864 come from the same client:

13800  XXX.XXX.XXX.129
		   8254 -  B1   Bad Ber Tag Encountered
		   3608 -  U1   Cleanly Closed Connections
		   1864 -  T1   Idle Timeout Exceeded

Take a look at the access log where you get the T1 error upon
disconnect.  You want to find out what the conn=XXXXX is.  From there,
connection.  What are they?  What application are they from?  Why is
that application opening connections and just leaving them open?  If it
is a monitoring application like nagios, you will need to increase the
idle timeout for that application.  You can do this by using a dedicated
BIND dn for that application, then you can increase the idle timeout for
that user without affecting any of the other users - see
http://tinyurl.com/2sy8bl

If you have a lot of applications that open connections and leave them
open for a long time, you will need to figure out how many file
descriptors you need for other clients, and you will need to increase
the number of file descriptors available for the directory server as
well as the size of the directory server connection table -
http://tinyurl.com/35qddb and
http://directory.fedoraproject.org/wiki/Performance_Tuning#Linux

See http://tinyurl.com/35qddb for real time server connection monitoring
information.