[Fedora-directory-users] Setting up fault tolerant mesh of FDS servers - just checking I have got it right!

Howard Wilkinson howard at cohtech.com
Fri Feb 29 08:37:17 UTC 2008

Fedora-ds-1.1.1 on Fedora 7 + (the + is back ports from 8/9, all of the
updates applied, and additional packages I have cross ported)

I have succeeded in getting a fault tolerant mesh configured that
consists of 2 or more Multi-Master servers, a number of Hub (0+) and a
number of consumers (0+).

I have done this by modifying mmr.pl to accept --host1_role and
--host2_role parameters which can be set to supplier, hub, or consumer.

For all of the usual DCROOTs i.e. not o=NetscapeRoot I set the
relationships up as implied i.e. supplier<->supplier for the
Multi-Master Hosts, supplier<->hub, hub<->consumer.
Where the site is too small for hub servers I have gone
supplier<->consumer direct. Inter-site topology and hub grouping within
sites is left as an exercise for the reader (me when it comes back to
bite me...)

For the o=Netscape I have chosen to use supplier<->supplier
relationships but to apply the same topology.

Sequence of events are:

    * On first Master

         1. Install clean environment - erase rpm's delete residual
            files, install rpms, patch dirsrv-admin startup to work!
         2. Run setup-ds-admin.pl in silent mode, this adds schema
            files. The inf file has SlapdConfigMC=1, UseExistingMC=0 and
            points ConfigDirectoryLdapURL to this host.
         3. Set up SSL certs using certutil commands and openssl
            supplied certificates from our CA.
         4. Restart dirsrv and dirsrv-admin
         5. Create 2nd and subsequent DCROOTS with default aci's and
            "standard" container entries
         6. Preload data into DCROOTS for users and other objects being
            migrated.

    * On other servers - doing other masters first, followed by hubs and
      then consumers - carry out steps 1-5 above creating the
      o=NetscapeRoot DCROOT as well.
          o The inf file has SlapdConfigMC=1, UseExistingMC=1 and points
            ConfigDirectoryLdapUrl to the first Master
    * Then run the mmr.pl script on each connection for each DCROOT
      starting with replicating the first master to all other masters,
      then to hubs, then other masters to hubs and finally hubs to
      consumers.
         1. For o=NetscapeRoot run mmr.pl as supplier<->supplier,
            otherwise honor the role played by each server.
         2. Replace entries in cn=UserDirectory, ou=Global Preferences,
            ou=<localdomain>, o=NetscapeRoot for nsDirectoryFailoverList
            with one for each server other than the first master which
            is mentioned in the nsDirectoryURL entry in the same object.
            *Is this the right sort of thing to do?*
         3. On every host alter the cn=Pass Through
            Authentication,cn=plugins,cn=config object to have
            nssslapd-pluginarg0 to reference that host rather than the
            first master. *Is this correct on the consumers (or hubs)?
            *I am assuming that this is for authentication not for
            password modification purposes! Which brings up the question
            of where in the consumers and hubs do I put referrals to the
            Master(s)?
         4. Edit adm.conf on each host to change the ldapurl to point to
            the local host.

Now assuming that this was the right thing to do I now need to set up
referrals for writing to the system from the consumers and hubs back to
the "site" masters. Where do I put this information?

I am also getting these errors logged on the first master!

Feb 28 22:00:35 bastion ns-slapd: auxpropfunc error invalid parameter
supplied
Feb 28 22:00:35 bastion ns-slapd: sql_select option missing
Feb 28 22:00:35 bastion ns-slapd: auxpropfunc error no mechanism available

These are appearing about every 15 minutes. Anybody any idea where these
are coming from?

Finally the shutdown time for the dirsrv servers on the suppliers is
extremely long - orders of minutes, what could be causing this?

--

Howard Wilkinson

Phone:

+44(20)76907075