[Fedora-directory-users] Migrating RHEL users to Directory Server

Jonathan Barber j.barber at dundee.ac.uk
Thu Jan 3 11:23:40 UTC 2008

On Mon, Dec 31, 2007 at 02:25:21PM +1100, Joel Heenan wrote:
> Ok then so from my reading a bit more into how the Linux MD5 sum is
> calculated it seems that because it includes a salt and is otherwise
> mangled what I'm attempting to do is impossible and I'll need to get
> users to set passwords manually. Is this correct?

Yes.

If you want to postpone having to get your users to reset their
passwords, you could try the pam-passthru plugin:
http://cvs.fedoraproject.org/viewcvs/ldapserver/ldap/servers/plugins/pam_passthru/README?root=dirsec&rev=1.6&view=auto

> I was hoping that I could take the Linux PAM MD5 and plonk it inside
> Directory Server but this doesn't seem possible. Unless there is some
> plugin designed for this that understands Linux MD5?

Not that I know of, but it shouldn't be that difficult to write using
the existing pwdstorage plugins as a starting point.