[Fedora-directory-users] Samba + FDS Problem adding Administrator account "Username not found"

Gary Martin gm4rtin at gmail.com
Wed Jan 9 20:08:59 UTC 2008

I am following the instructions in the Howto:Samba documentation on
the FDS Wiki site.  When I go to edit the Administrator account using
the following command:

pdbedit -U $( net getlocalsid | sed 's/SID for domain YOURWORKGROUP
is: //' )-500 -u Administrator -r

smbldap_search_domain_info: Searching
for:[(&(objectClass=sambaDomain)(sambaDomainName=DOMAIN))]
smbldap_open_connection: connection opened
ldap_connect_system: succesful connection to the LDAP server
smbldap_search_domain_info: Searching
for:[(&(objectClass=sambaDomain)(sambaDomainName=DOMAIN))]
smbldap_open_connection: connection opened
ldap_connect_system: succesful connection to the LDAP server
Username not found!

I get the same "Username not found" error  if I run "pdbedit -L -v -u
Administrator" so it seems that the account doesn't exist, yet if run:

ldapsearch -b dc=test,dc=com -x '(uid=Administrator)'

# extended LDIF
#
# LDAPv3
# base <dc=test,dc=com> with scope subtree
# filter: (uid=Administrator)
# requesting: ALL
#

# Administrator, People, test.com
dn: uid=Administrator,ou=People,dc=test,dc=com
uid: Administrator
cn: Samba Admin
givenName: Samba
sn: Admin
mail: Administrator at test.com
objectClass: person
objectClass: organizationalPerson
objectClass: inetOrgPerson
objectClass: posixAccount
objectClass: top
loginShell: /bin/bash
uidNumber: 0
gidNumber: 0
homeDirectory: /root
gecos: Samba Admin

# search result
search: 2
result: 0 Success

# numResponses: 2
# numEntries: 1

Should this account have some Samba Domain info?  What did I do wrong?
 Here is a copy of the sambaAdmin.ldif I used:

mail: Administrator at test.com
objectClass: person
objectClass: organizationalPerson
objectClass: inetOrgPerson
objectClass: posixAccount
objectClass: top
userPassword: {crypt}x
loginShell: /bin/bash
uidNumber: 0
gidNumber: 0
homeDirectory: /root
gecos: Samba Admin

And a copy of my smb.conf if it helps:

[global]
   workgroup = DOMAIN
   security = user
   passdb backend = ldapsam:ldap://vandread.test.com
   ldap admin dn = cn=Directory Manager
   ldap suffix = dc=test,dc=com
   ldap user suffix = ou=People
   ldap machine suffix = ou=People