[Fedora-directory-users] Unidirectional Windows Sync possible

Rich Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Tue Jan 22 18:30:11 UTC 2008

Jason Beavers wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Probably been asked before but i didn't quite find the answer i was
> looking for by searching.
> Is it possible to configure a Unidirectional Windows Sync agreement?
>
> Scenario:
>
> Large Enterprise with fully deployed Windows AD
>
> We would like to develop an application that runs off of Fedora DS,
> and allows the users to login using their normal AD credentials.
> We'll be storing alot of application specific data about each user,
> (preferences, settings, etc) in FedoraDS and are prohibited from
> writing anything back to AD.
> Which pretty much rules out modifying the AD schema, or writing
> changes back to AD (corporate mandate, don't ask).
>
> So basically what i'm asking is whether its possible to configure
> Windows Sync such that Users (and passwords) can be sync'd over from
> AD to FDS but not the other way around.
> This way all user management (creation, password changes, etc) always
> happens in AD and we only sync over the authentication credentials,
> leaving the other stuff to FDS.
>
> Make sense?  Thoughts?
It's not directly supported, but I suppose you could have your AD
administrator create a special admin user that had read/search rights
over the AD tree but not update/write rights.  Then Fedora DS could read
the info from AD but not right any back.  I don't know if this would
make Fedora DS blow up because it would get lots of errors attempting to
write updates to AD.