[Fedora-directory-users] Case Sensitive Lookup and Searching

Mike C smith.not.western at gmail.com
Mon Jul 7 04:45:13 UTC 2008

Hi,

I'm running Fedora-Directory/1.0.2 B2006.111.2147, and talking to it
via a Java App. Previously the app was talking to an OpenLDAP 2.3.x
server.

My problem is with this:

Object o = ctx.lookup("memberUid=steves,ou=People");

In OpenLDAP, it returns the correct user (steves). In FDS, it returns
the wrong user, 'Steves'. Yes, unfortunately our data is like that,
where case sensitivity is important. In fact, as a side issue, when we
import the data from ldif into FDS, the ldif2db process ignores
duplicate entries (i.e. steves was inserted, but Steves ignored as it
was considered a duplicate).

ldif2db Error: import company: WARNING: Skipping duplicate entry
"memberUid=steves,ou=People,o=company.com"

As you might imagine, I'd like to get it so both ldif2db and lookups
are case sensitive. However, it seems like ldapsearch is case
sensitive.

# ./ldapsearch  -h 127.0.0.1  -b "o=company.com"  memberUid=steves
# ./ldapsearch  -h 127.0.0.1  -b "o=company.com"  memberUid=Steves
version: 1
dn: memberUid=Steves,ou=People,o=company.com
personalTitle: Mr
etc...

So, the question goes, what am I missing? I've even tried changing the
definition of memberUid in config/schema/10rfc2307.ldif to use

attributeTypes: (
  1.3.6.1.1.1.1.12
  NAME 'memberUid'
  DESC 'Standard LDAP attribute type'