[Fedora-directory-users] Scheduled Resync with Windows Sync?

Glenn glenn at mail.txwes.edu
Mon Jul 7 14:22:52 UTC 2008

David - At least once a week on our 8,000-user systems, synchronization
breaks.  Usually it is because the Passsync service on the AD server stops
running.  Other times, Passync is running, but passwords do not sync.
Sometimes passwords sync only one way.  Sometimes password sync works when we
change the user's password on the domain controller, but it does not work
when we change the user's password on the user's Windows XP computer.

Sometimes password sync breaks and other attributes continue to synchronize.
Often while this is going on, new accounts are not replicated from one system
to the other.  An aggravating factor seems to be accounts that have
attributes allowed in Fedora Directory but not allowed in Active Directory,
such as duplicate names or user IDs.

The remedy for these problems seems to be to stop and restart Passsync and do
a full resync from the Fedora Directory Server console.  Duplicate entries
must be changed so they are acceptable to AD, and a resync is necessary to
get them to replicate.

Thanks for the suggestion on creating the resync script.   -G.