[Fedora-directory-users] Samba/FDS Integration upgrade steps?

kmarsh at gdrs.com kmarsh at gdrs.com
Tue Jul 8 13:44:34 UTC 2008

I am planning an upgrade on a supported RHES4 server from Samba
3.0.10-1.4E to 3.0.25b or the latest in the RHN update stream. I
currently have Samba authentication integrated with AD through FDS
1.0.1-4, only because FDS 1.1 doesn't run on RHES4. I have single
sign-on but not integrated password changes for Windows XP Domain users.

Every Samba+FDS user currently has objectClass attribute
sambasamaccount, and attributes sambaSID, sambaAcctFlags,
sAMAccountName, sambaLMPassword and sambaNTPassword.

According to Red Hat support (who cannot help me much because they only
support OpenLDAP), there is a "schema change" and a script to convert
the schema, however they did not know where the script was or its name.
I also noticed during an attempt to upgrade that the SambaSID has
changed format in 3.0.25b so I suppose I have to change that attribute
value for every user.

Can someone name the conversion script and lay out the steps that it
will take to get me from  3.0.10-1.4E to 3.0.25b/later while maintaining
AD integration? If it involves upgrading to FDS1.1, I can handle that,
but I'd rather do one thing at a time. If there are any side benefits
(like single password change) I'd also like to know.

Thanks,

Ken.