[Fedora-directory-users] Adding users to additional Linux/Posix groups

Rich Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Thu Mar 6 15:55:14 UTC 2008

Ivan Ferreira wrote:
> Just suggestions, if your destop is Windows based, then ldapadmin is a very
> powerfull tool and a lot more easy to use then the Console. It has plugins,
> for example for SUDO, postfix, samba, and more. You can't compare it with
> the console.

Yes, agreed for user management.  The console is extensible in that
regard but you have to write Java code and the process is not documented
very well.  Or you have to use the advanced entry editor to add specific
objectclasses and attributes.

The console is also used for server management tasks such as replication
config and monitoring, database backend and suffix config and
monitoring, other types of entry creation (Groups, Roles, Class of
Service, et. al.), log config and monitoring, TLS/SSL management, and
more.  Almost all of these functions are specific to Fedora Directory
Server and it's unlikely a third party tool would be able to do all of
them - but they could, because almost all of this is done over LDAP or
via CGIs.