Fwd: [Fedora-directory-users] Password Warnings

Rich Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Fri Mar 7 19:18:54 UTC 2008

Legatus wrote:
> I did that. I know I have done that in the past.  I see on one account
> the passwordExpWarned, I don't see passwordExpirationTime. We need to
> be able to give users warnings that the password will expire in N
> days.  Am I looking in the wrong place, or is there a setting I
> haven't set? I set up a policy that is supposed to expire passwords,
> and warn users.
One thing is that a user who has not had his/her password changed since
password expiration was enabled will not have the passwordExpirationTime
attribute in his/her entry, but you could add it manually.

Another thing - I'm not sure how it is possible that a user could have
the passwordExpWarned but not the passwordExpirationTime attribute.
Just looking at the code, everywhere it sets passwordExpWarned it also
sets passwordExpirationTime.

I started with an existing database (Example.ldif)

I then enabled password expiration - ldapsearch showed no
passwordExpWarned nor passwordExpirationTime

Then, as directory manager, I used ldapmodify to modify a user's
password - the search showed this:
ldapsearch -D "cn=directory manager" ... "uid=scarter"
passwordExpirationTime passwordExpWarned
# extended LDIF
#
# LDAPv3
# base <dc=example,dc=com> with scope subtree
# filter: uid=scarter
# requesting: passwordExpirationTime passwordExpWarned
#

# scarter, People, example.com
dn: uid=scarter, ou=People, dc=example,dc=com
passwordExpirationTime: 20080615185146Z
passwordExpWarned: 0