[Fedora-directory-users] Request For Comment: fedora-ds-utils project

Ken Marsh kmarsh at gdrs.com
Fri Mar 7 20:04:08 UTC 2008

Chris,

As someone currently looking for some of these scripts, I think this is
a great idea. I'll throw in a few comments.

>2. The program must include 'ds' as the first element in the name; for
>   instance:
>
>   - ds-mmrtool
>   - ds-schema-migrate
>   - ds-setup-ssl

While I like the consistancy, this sort of introduces a massive
documentation bug. People will read the Red Hat DS or 7.1 DS or latest
DS documentation, look for (say) setup-ds-admin.pl, and it will be
missing (renamed), and come right back to the mailing list asking for it
again.

>4. The program must ONLY produce output a) on errors; or b) with the -v
>   flag.  In the event of successful operation, no output should be
>   produced at all.

I suspect the purpose of some scripts is to produce output. Also, some
scripts call other perl or shell scripts, and tying up all those outputs
neatly would probably involve rewriting them all.

>5. The program must be capable of running completely unattended.

Yes!

7. All dependencies of the program must be available as RPMs in the
   current release of Fedora Linux

OK, but hey! Don't forget us Red Hat (paying) customers. I've had many a
cool new package refuse to run on Enterprise 4 because supporting
packages were "too old" or packages weren't available. I can understand
giving up on Enterprise 3, but right now E4 is still the massive user
base.

Ken Marsh