[Fedora-directory-users] YUM and 64 bit upgrade to 1.1 questions

Rich Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Mon Mar 10 15:20:03 UTC 2008

Ken Marsh wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have some questions upgrading 3 Red Hat systems (ES3, 4 x86 &
> ES5x86_64, one each) from FDS 1.01-4 to 1.1.
>
>    1. On RHES5.1 x86_64, is it safe to do yum to update the
>       installation? There are a lot of warnings out there about yum vs
>       Beta of 1.1. Should I remove all of 1.01-4 first?

Either way is fine. Just be sure to backup your data (db2bak, db2ldif)
and your config (slapd-instance/config) before you upgrade.

>   1.
>

>    2. Should I be using redhat-ds instead of fedora-ds for supported
>       RH systems?

Red Hat Directory Server is not free - you have to purchase a separate
subscription/entitlement. If you would like to purchase Red Hat DS,
please contact me off list.

>   1.
>

>    2. Searching for packages in rhn.redhat.com, there is no redhat-ds
>       available. Shouldn’t it be there? I have entitlements for 3, 4
>       and 5.

See above.

>   1.
>

>    2. Must I use YUM for Enterprise 4 systems? Why can’t I just
>       download an FDS 1.1 RPM and install it?

There is no FDS 1.1 RPM for EL4.