[Fedora-directory-users] Proposed new features for 1.3

David Boreham david_list at boreham.org
Fri Apr 10 12:50:52 UTC 2009

Chandrasekar Kannan wrote:
> One of my pet peeves .. a plugin that can compress/decompress binary
> data.
>
> When we store large binary data (that can be easily compressed
> and stored ) in attributes , for example CRLs, I would like to see
> a ds plugin that compresses the data prior to storage. stores in
> compressed form. When asked to retrieve, decompress it on-the-fly.

BerkeleyDB (the storage manager used by FDS) has a feature (added after
the DS was developed)
that allows compression of the data stored. This might give you what you
want, and it could also
be handy in compressing entries in general. As far as I know nobody has
tried to enable it with
the DS. Perhaps it's been testing with OpenLDAP, I'm not sure.