[Fedora-directory-users] DSGW Unable to Authenticate

Peter Green peter.green at bexleyitsolutions.co.uk
Thu Apr 23 09:47:39 UTC 2009

Hi,

I have recently set up FDS on CentOS 5.2 (i386), following the
installation instructions:

http://directory.fedoraproject.org/wiki/Install_Guide

I have also enabled SSL on the system:

http://directory.fedoraproject.org/wiki/Howto:SSL

I've also created a certificate DB and imported my CA certificate into
it, as per the instructions here:

http://directory.fedoraproject.org/wiki/DSGW

However, the DSGW is unable to authenticate me, displaying the following
error message: "Authentication failed because the server was unable to
generate authentication credentials. The authentication database could
not be opened."

The odd thing is that the Directory Server Express tool (which allows
users to edit their profile and change their password via a web page)
_can_ authenticate users.

I can't see anything useful output in the admin server logs
(/var/log/dirsrv/admin-serv/*), so I'm a bit stuck and not sure what
else to investigate.

I did pop onto the #fedora-ds IRC channel yesterday and was informed
that the DSGW component isn't used much. So, my next port of call is
this mailing list!

I really need some sort of web-based management tool for administering
users and groups, at a minimum. phpLDAPadmin has been suggested and I
notice a page on the FDS wiki for this, but I wondered if anyone could
assist with DSGW first? Otherwise, anybody have any pointers about using
phpLDAPadmin?

Thank you in advance,

--
Peter Green B.Sc. (Hons) M.B.C.S.