[Fedora-directory-users] shadowLastChange error and Active Directory synchronization

George Holbert gholbert at broadcom.com
Mon Apr 27 21:45:26 UTC 2009

John A. Sullivan III wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-04-27 at 14:15 -0700, George Holbert wrote:
>
>> John A. Sullivan III wrote:
>>
>>> Hello, all.  I'm seeing a strange problem in our set up to synchronize
>>> passwords between Directory Server 8.0 and Active Directory.  If I
>>> change a user's password from idm-console, the password synchronizes.
>>> If I change it from Active Directory, the password synchronizes.
>>>
>>> However, if the user changes their own password (they use Ubuntu 8.0.4
>>> KDE desktops), the passwords do not synchronize.  We do see an entry in
>>> the error log:
>>>
>>> Entry "uid=mlap,ou=Desks,o=a0,o=Int,dc=mycompany,dc=com" -- attribute "shadowLastChange" not allowed
>>>

>> Do your account objects have the shadowAccount objectClass?
>>
> Argh!! Embarrassment, embarrassment.  I had checked several and they
> did  . . . except for the one I was testing with! Would that torpedo
> Windows synchronization? Thanks - John

I think it would just torpedo these password changes being accepted by FDS.
If you don't need or use the shadow attributes, then you might look into
seeing if your Ubuntu workstations can be configured to not try
modifying them as part of password changes... and perhaps also ditching
the shadowAccount objectClass altogether on your accounts.
My hunch is if you accept password changes from both Windows and Ubuntu,
you're not really using shadow attributes (not intentionally, at least).

>>> That seemed straightforward so I checked the ACIs and we do allow users
>>> to change this attribute:
>>>
>>> (targetattr != "nsroledn||aci")
>>> (version 3.0;
>>> acl "Allow self entry modification except for nsroledn and aci
>>> attributes";
>>> allow (read,compare,search,write)