[Fedora-directory-users] Directory Server Problems

Rich Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Mon Feb 9 18:11:05 UTC 2009

Adam Staebler wrote:
> Finally got directory server to install by setting permissions on
> /var/run/dirsrv to the fedora-ds user I created. Now my problem is
> when I run setup-ds-admin.pl it stops with:
> [Setup] Fatal Error: failed to open an LDAP connection to host
> 'fds.local' port '389' as user 'cn=Directory Manager'. Error: unknown.
> [Setup] Fatal Failed to create the configuration directory server
For one thing, you cannot run setup-ds-admin.pl again unless you first
do some clean up:
service dirsrv stop
service dirsrv-admin stop
rm /etc/dirsrv/admin-serv/adm.conf /etc/dirsrv/admin-serv/local.conf
/etc/dirsrv/admin-serv/admpw
rm -rf /var/log/dirsrv/admin-serv/*
rm -rf `find /etc/dirsrv /usr/lib/dirsrv /usr/lib64/dirsrv /var -name
slapd-yourinstancename\*`

Note - replace yourinstancename with your actual instance name - also
run the find command by itself to make sure it actually finds what it is
supposed to find (or you may nuke your file system)

Then, when you are ready to run setup-ds-admin.pl again, use -ddd to
enable verbose output.