[Fedora-directory-users] Windows Sync (via changelog) only works with front-ends sending uncenctyped passwords

lambam80 at hotmail.com lambam80 at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 16 11:12:50 UTC 2009

Hello everybody and a BIG thanks to Rich, and the rest of you, for your kind aid. Can you please help with something else ?

HISTORY-------

We're currently investigating using Windows SYNC but only the password part of the SYNC functionality - no accounts.

My prototype works fine - if I change a password with Windows Cntl+Alt+Del itis propogated to Redhat Directory Server (RHDS). If I change the RHDS password with a simple front end itis propogated to Windows Active-Directory (Netscape console, for example, or a script with userpassword: secret-password ).

I read the following:
Directory Server passwords are synchronized along with other entry attributes because plain-text passwords are retained in the Directory Server changelog.
Source: http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/dir-server/ag/8.0/Windows_Sync.html#Windows_Sync-About_Windows_Sync

PROBLEM ?---------

I think this only works with RHDS and password changing front-ends that send the password unencrypted.

For example, if I do something like the following with RHDS:

./ldapmodify -P "/root/.mozilla/firefox/acu5w0yl.default/cert8.db" -c -h ${DEST_HOST} -p ${DEST_PORT} -D "${DEST_BIND}" -w $DESTDN_PASSWORD <<EOFdn: uid=${TGI},ou=People,${DEST_SUFFIX}changetype: modifyreplace: userpassworduserpassword: {SHA}v9KDMpMQgX13LuXtmWzmSaIcNGM=EOF

Note: Please note the {SHA} stuff in 'userpassword'.

I cannot see how, using the changelog, RHDS can unencrypt the password from {SHA} so as to re-encode it in unicodePwd for sending to Active-Directory.
unicodePwd: good link http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/journal/2007-07/010.html

My tests show that it doesn't work: After running the script I cannot login to Windowsusing my account/secret-password.

If however, I change my script to use the password unencrypted (userpassword: secret-password) the propogation works again and I can log into my Windows client.

Q1. Am I correct that it only works with RHDS front-ends that send the password unencrypted ?
Thanks,