[Fedora-directory-users] Problems with replication and granular password policies

John A. Sullivan III jsullivan at opensourcedevel.com
Sun Jan 18 04:31:03 UTC 2009

Hello, all.  I've had major grief tonight trying to set up replication
in our test environment.  I'll submit this email to document our
workarounds in case other hit the same problems and to solicit
corrections in case them problem was not the product and documentation
but rather our approach.

First we have the issue of the Supplier Bind DN.  We attempted to create
the user by stopping dirsrv on the RO replica and add the following to
dse.ldif:

dn: cn=repliman,cn=config

uid: repliman

objectClass: inetorgperson

objectClass: person

objectClass: top

cn: repliman

givenname: Replication

sn: Manager

userPassword: <medium security password>

passwordExpirationTime: 20380119031407Z

We've never gotten it to work.  The replication agreement wizard cannot
find the dn.  We've always had to create the user through the console in
the config branch and then we can find the user.

Once we did that, we hit a second problem.  We had enabled fine grained
password policies and required users to change their password when
reset.  This, of course, applied to the Supplier Bind DN user but we did
not realize that at first.  Perhaps a note in the documentation would
have helped.  Once we created the custom password policy for the user,
all finally worked fine.
--
John A. Sullivan III
Open Source Development Corporation