[Fedora-directory-users] Update user passwords with "passwd"

Tim Hartmann hartmann at fas.harvard.edu
Sat Jan 24 01:11:58 UTC 2009

Hi!

So I can into yet another pot-hole in the road to LDAP bliss...

We have a root suffix in our directory that stores the basic Posix
attributes including password,  I've been able to configure my client to
use ldap for directory services, and authenticate against my replica's,
so far so good! Then I tried to change my users password .. and thats
where I started getting a bit hung up..

At first I thought that it was because my replicas weren't sending the
update request/ referrals back to the masters. (We have two masters that
sit behind four consumers)

Then I decided to change my ldap.conf files to point directly to my
masters.... but I still receaved the same errors "Can't contact LDAP
Server" , which was strange since I can do ldap searches against it all
day, and even bind to the servers to do searches! and Insufficient write
privileges, which made me think that maybe it was an ACI.. but I have
selfwrite enabled for the userPassword attribute...

Here's the output of my failed attempt to change my user's password
after logging in successfully to the server..

Changing password for user foo.
Enter login(LDAP) password:
New UNIX password:
Retype new UNIX password:
LDAP password information update failed: Can't contact LDAP server
Insufficient 'write' privilege to the 'userPassword' attribute of entry
'uid=foo,ou=people,dc=dept,dc=school,dc=edu'.

passwd: Permission denied

If anyone has any thought I'd be grateful! I'm pretty perplexed!

Best,

Tim