[Fedora-directory-users] Do you use WinSync for group sync?

Emmanuel BILLOT emmanuel.billot at ird.fr
Thu Jan 29 16:38:04 UTC 2009

Rich Megginson a écrit :
> We're currently investigating the group sync feature of Windows Sync,
> and we wanted to know how it is deployed.  Do you sync groups?  What
> types of groups?  Security or Distribution?  Global or Local?  Do the
> groups have "meaning" in both AD and Fedora DS, or only in one side?
Hi,

We are very interested in Windows Sync. We want to share as database
between AD ans Fedora DS, because both have qualities in our
environnement. AD is used for domain management (client computers) and
file sharing (NTFS), indeed AD basic work.
We also need a "real LDAP" (RFC compliant, opensource, easy to modify
structure, etc...) for compatibility with the OpenSource environment,
authentification and directory.

Fedora/RedHat directory seems to be the best way for use with windows
sync. Howerver, this functionnality is quite difficult to configure
(essentially for password) and field matching between AD and FDS should
be more opened. I mean Windows Sync should be perfect is thoses
additionnal function were implemented :
* choose matching between AD and FDS fileds (eq mail with kerberos
login, sn and givenname with MS specific ones)
* sync sub trees with much more precision (eq sync
ou=users,ou=microsoft,dc=europe,dc=priv with
ou=people,dc=microsoft,dc=example,dc=fr)

For group sync we should use security groups, with global type. In fact,
windows groups are used for file rights management and security, like
posix group in unix, and for global authorization like roles.

is Windows sync going to be enhanced ?

br,

Emmanuel BILLOT
IRD - Orléans
Délégation aux Systèmes d'Information (DSI)
tél : 02 38 49 95 88