[Fedora-directory-users] posix root user in ds

John A. Sullivan III jsullivan at opensourcedevel.com
Thu Jan 29 20:23:37 UTC 2009

Hello, all.  I'm intentionally doing some things the hard way to
understand how they work.  I'd like to place the root user into my
directory.  The client with which I am testing can query ldap and allows
login for users defined in ldap.

I then tried to add the root user without using an import script.  I
created a user with both uidnumber and gidnumber set to 0 and uid and cn
set to root.  I then set a password in ldap different from the one on
the local system and attempted to login to my test system as root.  It
failed with the LDAP password but succeeded with the local password.

/etc/nsswitch.conf has "file ldap" for both passwd and shadow.  I tried
changing the password both from the local station and from ldap and they
did not synchronize.

I then added an objectclass of shadowaccount and added attributes for
shadowmin, shadowmax, shadowwarning, shadowlastchange as in
the /etc/shadow file.  Still no luck.

What must one do to synchronize an existing local account with an ldap
account? Thanks - John
--
John A. Sullivan III
Open Source Development Corporation