[389-users] Migration from OpenLDAP and PassSync with AD

Prashanth Sundaram psundaram at wgen.net
Thu Jul 9 14:25:03 UTC 2009

Dear fellow Fedora DS users and experts,

I am working on this new project where there is a two step process. We are
currently using a poorly managed OpenLDAP server for over 3 years and
planning to migrate to Fedora DS.

Scenario: OPenLDAP=====Migrate all users and passwords===> Fedora DS
<----------PassSync------->Windows AD

Question1: Is it possible to migrate current users (around 300users) from
OpenLDAP to Fedora DS along with the UIDs, Security id and passwords. Like
everything looks same in users perspective.

Question2: Is is possible to create a password sync between FDS and AD for
all the above users. Yes, the username is same in both the directories.

                 Question2.1: The users are stored with different Security
IDs in windows environment than in OpenLDAP or FDS. Will that pose a
problem?

                 Question2.2: We have several domain controllers and Active
Directory server which run in sync. Since the PassSync can only run on one
server, will it be a problem that some passwords do not get sync because the
user changed it on XP which redirected to a another server (without
PassSync)?

If any of you has gone thru these issues and anything more, please respond
to this thread or give me links.

Thanks for your help and patience.
Prashanth