[389-users] Migration from OpenLDAP and PassSync with AD

Prashanth Sundaram psundaram at wgen.net
Thu Jul 9 16:35:02 UTC 2009

Elaborating the Qs:

Question1:Since we have an existing LDAP server(OpenLDAP) and users were
logging in to other dev, prod and testing servers using the passwords
managed by this OpenLDAP server. I believe the way the member servers
remember the user credentials is by assigning each user with a unique
security ID. (please correct me if I am wrong) If that gets lost in
migration, then my users' permissions will have to be re-assigned from
scratch (pain for sysadmins)

So my question was, will the users be able to login to member servers after
migrating to FDS and still have same permissions and home directory folder
and everything looks the same without panicking about any missing
permissions or files.

Question2.1: What will happen to the passwords that are different on the FDS
and AD before the Sync. I do not want the passwords to be reset on FDS or AD
after 1st sync but only future passwords changes to be Synced to FDS and AD
and vice versa.

Question2.1: I was working with windows before and noticed that the Windows
saves users with a unique id. If that is lost or recreated, the previous
permissions will no longer hold true for the user, even though the username
is same. Is it same in Unix environment? Like say I delete a user account
from FDS and a day after I re-create the ID, will the permissions stay
intact?

Thanks,
Prashanth

https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-directory-users/2009-July/msg00013.ht